Abatan got its named from the word pan-aabatan meaning a meeting place of different people.
Abatan started out as a stopover inn on the crossroads of the Halsema Road (Baguio-Bontoc Road) and the Abatan-Makayan-Cervantes- Tagudin Road and Abatan- Buguias- Kabayan- Gurel Road. The area surrounding the stopover was a rich hunting ground for folks of Loo and Guinaoang village. It became an important adjunct with the physical integration of the Cordillera Province into the American Colonial Government. Traders would pass through Abatan to reach the gold mines of Suyoc and Lepanto or to the vegetable bowl of Loo. Local history has it that Abatan’s first inhabitant was Galap Almora who in 1930, had a store where travelers stayed, ate and rested before continuing on their journeys.Teachers of the Loo Settlement Farm School followed subsequently. After World War II, the Alomora and Bay-an clans led the reconstruction and development of Abatan, the former even starting the municipality’s first public transportation system. The later establishment of the Lutheran Clinic (now a hospital) And the Abatan Mission as well as the San Isidro High School and Chapel attracted more and more residents as well as commercial and industrial interests and the barangay solidified its status as the municipality’s urban center until it took mantle of the town’s political center from Buguias Central (Poblacion).
b. Establishment of Barangay
Barangay Abatan was created in 1970, wherefore some portion curve from its adjacent barangays as follows:
a. South – curved from Barangay Buyacaoan
b. North – curved from Barangay Bangao, and
c. East – curved from Barangay Loo.
Abatan composed of 9 sitios namely:
• Abatan Proper
• Lamagan, Nakiangan
• Upper Tabbacan
• Lower Tabbacan
• Gueday, Ba-ey Ata